Google

2013년 6월 11일 화요일

Journal III


Highlight anything that you have learned through this course and discuss why this is meaningful for your learning and instruction?  

     There are many things I have learned through this course. I simply expected that I would be able to learn some methods for teaching reading for the students, but I think there were more things which would be useful to myself. As I could learn various useful tips in reading, at the same time I felt that there is still a long way to go for myself to teach someone reading. I guess I should be ready with better reading ability with various reading skills before standing in front of the students.

     Among many things I learned from the lesson the most meaningful thing to me is that I realized that most of the time I’m doing the intensive reading. To be honest, I haven’t been a kind of person who enjoys reading. Even sometimes reading seems difficult and stressful task for me no matter it is in English or Korea. I simply thought the reason for this was because I’m not used to reading since when I was really young. I always thought the reading habit can be established only when people are very young. However I was wrong. In this class I found the real reason for my problem. It’s because I’m doing intensive reading and even using lower-level processing skills when I read. All the drawbacks of intensive reading I learned in the class can be applied to me. The reason I don’t like reading is that my reading speed is very slow and at the same time it’s hard for me to concentrate on reading. As I learned in the class because I pay too much attention on forms and text comprehension, my reading is being interrupted often which reduces the speed. Also I care too much to do the good reading, so the reading itself doesn’t seem fun to me. Thanks to this lesson I could finally find out the real reason for not liking the reading, and my slow reading. Now I find the reason so I think I can fix my problem. Moreover, in the class there were many activities and exercises for fast reading and extensive reading also so I think I can apply them to boost my reading speed and enjoyment of reading.

     There were many things I learned from this course. For example, I learned various kinds of reading skills and also made an activity to use some of the skills for students. Also I learned how to make a pre-reading question to activate schemata in a correct way, and in the process after making 3 bad pre-reading questions I could finally come up with the one good question. I think now I would not make a mistake in making pre-reading question. I learned how the reading strategies and skills are different too. I learned many things, and thanks to trying activities instead of just reading about the definition and characteristics of all of the leanings I could understand and remember them better. As I said earlier through this class I realize that I need to improve my reading ability first before teaching students, and also this class show me the way to do this too. Using various reading skills I learned in the lesson I will be able to boost my reading ability. I will practice some activities and exercises especially in the fast reading and extensive reading chapters so I can enjoy reading more than before.

댓글 1개:

  1. Dear 지영

    I really enjoyed your thoughtful reflection on this course. Wow! you have learned a lot of importants things through this course. I am very glad. I also hope you have more ER experience as a reader and also a future English educator. Have fun & easy reading time! You really did an excellent job in this course.

    답글삭제